Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Twinsie Tuesday: Nails inspired by one of your family members.

Good morning everyone! I hope you're all having a great week so far. Mine has been hectic, but I can't complain too much... I am already ready for another weekend though, it's going to be a long week.

For today's Twinsie Tuesday post the prompt was nails inspired by one of your family members. That was easy for me, my husband Mike. At the risk of getting a bit sappy, my hubby really is my best friend. This last couple of years have really proven just how lucky I am. He's taken care of me through 2 surgeries, some seriously heartbreaking self discovery, my first car wreck, (the wreck and 1 surgery in the last month... whew) and many many other things. I won't go into all the details, but I love the guy to pieces. This March we will be celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary and I love him more and more every day.

SO, lets get beyond the sap. Besides all of that greatness, he supports my love of polish. He teases me about it naturally, but he's super supportive. He is constantly combing the net for deals (of any kind), and when he finds anything polish related he lets me know. He "oohs and aahs" my nail mail, tells me my super sparkly polishes look like a bass boat, and compliments my nail art. Usually his answer is "That's pretty fancy", which is my favorite response.

So when I saw the family member inspired nail art I knew it had to be him. I've been wanting to do a Mike themed mani for a while, but this was the kick in the pants I needed. My husband is a serious Dodge (MOPAR) lover. His baby is his 2012 Blacktop Edition Dodge Charger. It was our first (and probably only) brand new car, and we both love it. But he definitely loves it a little bit more than me. The one deal we made when we bought the car was that we would start taking a road trip every year, and so far we've kept the promise. (This car isn't just beautiful, its comfy.)

So here is my Dodge Charger Black Top tribute manicure.




My inspiration, the Dodge Logo. 


And our Black Top Dodge Charger. 
Photo courtesy of my lovely and talented sister-in-law, Jen from Images By Jen Photography
Click here for more photos from the Charger's photo shoot. (Yes we had a shoot with the car, the pictures turned out incredible!)



Since the Black Top Charger is black on black (black wheels, black paint, and ours has pretty dark black tint) I went with a mostly gloss black manicure using 2 coats of OPI Black Onyx topped with 2 coats of HK Girl Topcoat by Glisten & Glow. For this car it has to be ultra glossy black. For my Ring Finger I decided to do a take on the newer Dodge logo. Mike's car doesn't have these red stripes on it anywhere, but I like the way they look and they made the accent nail pop. For this nail I started with 2 coats of Zoya Sooki then topped it with 1 coat of HK Girl Topcoat. It's fast drying, and since I was using tape I needed that.

Once it dried I used my Nail Vinyls for the very first time. Let me stop here and throw in a little review. This vinyls are amazing. I've used vinyls before and loved them. (Make It Stick Designs on Etsy makes some BEAUTIFUL nail vinyls, including chevrons. These are designed to leave on the nail.) But this was my first experience with vinyls that are made to be removed. You let your base dry, apply the vinyls making sure they are completely adhered to the nail, then top it with your 2nd color. (black in my case) Before that dries you gently remove the vinyls leaving crisp and clear stripes. I've been battling tape for quite some time now... striping tape and masking tape cut with craft scissor or regular scissors. It is a pain in the butt. The tape is hard to get even, usually too sticky so you have to fight it to get it off, it smudges the lines, on and on. It's a huge headache. These vinyls have just the right amount of stickiness and weight to make them extremely easy to work with. I am in love. My first order was 300 chevrons and 200 straights (various sizes), and I think I will be ordering more very soon! 

Overall I love this mani. I didn't wear it for long, I had a serious itch to do more nail art. Mikey loved them, they were a subtle tribute to his beloved car. Someday I will do a MOPAR manicure, but that's not going to be any time soon. I have to wrap my head around it. :)

So what do you all think? I hope you like them! Hubby did!

Be sure to check out all of the other lovely Twinsie Tuesday bloggers (links at the bottom of the post) for their posts this week! I can't wait to see what everyone has in store!!!

See you all soon! Be sure to follow my Instagram for more current nail pics and weird little snippits of my day to day life. (which is boring, but sometimes I catch a funny pic of the fat dog or cranky cat.)

~casey
Amanda at Amandalandish
Amber at Nails Like Lace
Chelsea at Nailed Blog
Elizabeth at Did My Nails
Kelly at Tuxarina
Marisa at Polish Obsession
Rachel at Top Coat It
Róisín at Cuti-CLUE-les
Stephanie at A Little Polish
Traci at DrinkCitra


No comments:

Post a Comment