Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Twinsie Tuesday Grunge Nails

Happy Tuesday everyone! I hope you're all having a great week so far! I'm feeling pretty worn down... without going into a ton of detail I'll just say that endometriosis SUCKS. :)   

So today's prompt is Grunge Nails. At first I thought I'd go with the distressed look that has been floating around the internet since the beautiful Sarah over at Chalkboard Nails posted them here. (go check it out, they're amazing!)

But, I wanted to add more to it. When I think of "grunge" I think of my teen years. Yes, I'm 33, I was a teen in the 90s... when grunge was at it's prime. I have never been (and probably never will be) fashionable, but I was mesmerized by the look when I was young. So I needed to add to that distressed look... acid wash jeans came to mind. A lot of people have done this look, so I got to browsing the web and found a great tutorial on Seriously Swatched here

This is what I came up with.





For this mani I used all Zoya polishes, except for my topcoats. 

I started with 1 coat of Zoya Blu. That isn't enough to get complete coverage, but you don't need complete coverage with either of these looks. I added a coat of Glossy Glam topcoat to this to get it nice and dry. Then on my pinky and pointer I added 1 coat of Sailor, 1 coat of Blu, 1 coat of Sailor and another coat of Blu. I then took a piece of a makeup sponge dipped in acetone and kinda "burned" little holes in it. (See Cordia's tutorial for better instructions... I'm not good at them at all!) After that I added a coat of Gelous. While it was still a little tacky I added some silver studs from Born Pretty... they kind of reminded me of button fly Levi's. Remember those? After I got those where I wanted them I added another coat of Glossy Glam and moved on to my distressed nails. 

For these nails I used Yana, Josie, and Neve on top of Blu. I followed Sarah's tutorial here. For a first try I don't think I did too bad, and I'm glad I used Neve instead of black... it pulled it together without making it too dark. 

Mike says that these aren't very "grunge", his idea was I should just paint them black. But I think this was maybe a more colorful take on grunge. After all, I don't remember it being all dark and dingy... ;) 

I hope you all like this mani! I had fun doing it. Be sure to check out the other Twinsie's posts to see how they interpreted Grunge Nails! Can't wait to see them myself! Links are below!

Thanks for reading!

~casey


Amanda at Amandalandish
Amber at Nails Like Lace
Chelsea at Nailed Blog
Elizabeth at Did My Nails
Kelly at Tuxarina
Marisa at Polish Obsession
Rachel at Top Coat It
Róisín at Cuti-CLUE-les
Stephanie at A Little Polish
Traci at DrinkCitra


**The polishes in this post were purchased by me for my own personal use.**

No comments:

Post a Comment