Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Waterfall Mani

Hello friends! I hope you're all doing well this morning!!! I've had a long week so far, but we're halfway through it!

Today I have my very first attempt at a waterfall manicure. If you've been around the nail art world for any amount of time I'm sure you have heard of Sammy from The Nailasaurus. If you haven't heard of her, go to her site. Go now. I'll wait. Trust me, you want to spend an hour or 7 browsing through her beautiful pictures and helpful pictorials. Sammy was one of my very first nail crushes, and she still amazes me with every single manicure and post. 

Now, back to my mani. Aren't you glad you went and checked her out? You should be. This one is dedicated to her, since it was in fact inspired and based on her fantastic pictorial. She posted this back in mid July and I knew I had to try it.  

Yesterday I went on a mission to find all of the Wet-n-Wild Pop Art Collection Polishes. I love hunting for stuff like this, it's a fun challenge for me for some reason. 4 Walgreens and 2 Kmarts later, I had them all. (and maybe a backup or two of some of the colors) When I got home I had them all lined up (because that's what I do with new polish, don't you?) and just looked at them. Then it hit me, perfect colors for my first waterfall mani! 

I started with a base of Wet-n-Wild Blank Canvas. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with this white. Whites are tricky, but this one doesn't disappoint.  Just two smooth coats to get full opacity, it flowed pretty well and was self leveling. For $0.99 I wasn't expecting much, but this was nice. My only complaint was that it was pretty slow to dry, but not unbearably so. 

Once the white was dry I took my striping brush and went to work. I dabbed a bit of colored polish on my palette (a piece of paper), then dragged my brush through the color. Then starting at the cuticle I painted a solid line, slowly lifting from the nail. This creates the smaller wispy look at the end. I love this technique. I need practice, badly. But for a first try I think I did pretty good. Once I got through all of my colors I went back in with a Stripe Right silver glitter striper and added a little sparkle. Then I topped it off with a thick coat of the best topcoat ever, Glossy Glam. I'll list all the colors below the pictures. 

Full Sun

Full Sun

Full Sun

Light Box

Light Box


Colors Used, L to R:
     A Blank Canvas
     Teal Slowly and See (no idea why this has teal in the name, it's all blue and beautiful)
     Stand the Test of Lime
     Who is Ultra Violet
     The Clock Strikes Orange
     Listening to Blue Reed
     Stripe Rite silver glitter

I really love all of these colors, they are really vibrant without being neon. Which is good for me because I'm not a huge fan of neon on myself. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of nail art with these. (which is why i bought a backup or two of some of them. :)) 

Wet-n-Wild polish can be purchased at most drugstores. The Pop Art collection is a limited edition collection. I know here it is available at Walgreens and Kmart, but other stores probably have it too. It is selling out quickly so if you see it and want it you should grab some! 

The Stripe Rite Striper is from Sally Beauty Supply. 

Glossy Glam topcoat is available from Rica's etsy shop here. Watch her Instagram (@justricarda) for restock information. 

The tutorial for this mani is available here, on www.thenailasaurus.com. Please go check her blog out, her manis are flawless and simple and beautiful. Sammy coined these "waterfall mani", and I think it's a great description. Other's have done their own versions, but her version and her pictorial are the best in my opinion. 

Let me know what you think! Have a happy rest of the week! 

Until next time, happy polishing! 

~caseylane

**all polishes in this post were purchased by me for my own personal use**

No comments:

Post a Comment