Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Semi Nail Fail

Good morning everyone. :) I hope you're all doing well today! 

Today's post is one that I debated even sharing with you. On Saturday night I decided that I was going to do some nail art with striping tape on Sunday. Since I had preplanned it, I went ahead and painted my bases for the mani. Anytime you work with tape (of any kind) you need to be absolutely sure your base color is 100% dry. If I can I will paint my bases the night before. 

Now when I sat down to plan this mani I didn't have much of an idea in mind, I just knew that I wanted to use 2 of my new OPI's; Funky Dunkey (dark purple) and Planks A Lot (light purple). By the way, Funky Dunkey is the most amazing eggplant purple I've ever seen in my life. The application and formula are a dream... it's saturated but doesn't stain, flows on easily... Just perfect. 

But, I digress. I decided I needed some practice with striping tape so I wanted to do 2 striped nails, and some gradients, and that's about all the plan I came up with. Overall I like the idea of this manicure, but I wasn't really happy with my execution. Some of my fingers ended up smudging and pulling, and it just looked weird to me. I don't know for sure what I did wrong, but that's ok. One thing I will say is that my striping skills are getting better. Striping tape is really hard for me to work with, it's so light and thin and wispy. I have a terrible time with it, it makes me feel like I've got giant gorilla hands when I'm trying to maneuver it. I have all of my striping tapes in a Scotch tape dispenser, and that has helped immensely. Hopefully with a few more tries I'll get it down. Then on my pointer and pinkie I did subtle gradients that went from light to dark. I am getting better at those too! Finally!!!

I only took two pictures of this one before I took it off. I wanted to share it because even though I think it's a fail, I do see my own progress in it. Plus I love it when bloggers post manis that they aren't crazy about, I think it's interesting to see what we all see as a fail or pass. 




The white in this mani is my beloved OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls. This is one of the only polishes I've ever gone through an entire bottle of... I currently have 1 and 1/2 bottles, I need another one for backup. It makes me nervous that I'm that low! ll

Oh and just so you know, straight horizontal lines on your thumbs is really hard! You're thumbs aren't straight, or even. They curve... who knew? Ha :) I just didn't realize how much it would affect tape application. 

So what do you all think? Its maybe not a total nail fail, but it's a fail for me. Next time will be better. 

Until next time!

~casey

**All polishes in this post were purchased by me for my own personal use.**

No comments:

Post a Comment